Friday, February 12, 2016

Oneonta Womens Basketball Team Fights Off Cortland

Kyle Kocan -- Oneonta, NY

On Tuesday February 9th, the SUNY Oneonta Womens Basketball faced off against division rival SUNY Cortland.  The game was held at Dewar arena.  With both schools represented by a Red Dragon as their mascot, the game is usually referred to as the Battle of the Red Dragon.  Students, Greek life, and other sport athletes came out in order to support Oneonta in both games and even created banners in order to hang around the top of the court.  Before the game I was able to talk to one of the helpers near the doors before the game about why she was there and she said "I'm here because it's my job to help assist fans while the games are going on.  I really hope that Oneonta can pull through and win both of the games for Women's and Men's."
Banners hanging above the Court
After there last meeting which was on January 29th at Corey Gym in Cortland, NY where Cortland was the winner with a score of 67-55.  Oneonta looked to come into this game with revenge and win their game at home. I was able to chat with an Oneonta fan in the stands before the game.  Nick Taylor who is a student here at Oneonta said "I don't enjoy basketball that much but I decided since its a big game I thought I would come along with my girlfriend. I expect to see Oneonta take both games with ease or at least that's what I hope happens."  At the close of the first half with Oneonta in the lead with a score of 31-26. At halftime I was able to talk to a Cortland Alumni, Mike Feheley, who said this about why he decided to come to the game.  "I went to most games at Suny Cortland while attending.  I expect the girl's game to be fast paced while the men's to be a physical game but both being close in the end with the winner of both being Cortland by a slim margin."
Samantha Lisikatos shoots a jumper from the Free Throw Line
Lyteshia Price and Cara Adams both had great games for Oneonta and led their teams in scoring.  Price with 19 points, 3 assists, and 4 blocks.  While Adams went for 18 points and 2 steals.  Caysea Cohen tried to bring Cortland the win with her 19 points and 5 steals but fell short.  Her teammate Cassidy Chapko went for 13 points, 3 assists, and 2 blocks.  Oneonta would go on to hold onto the lead and finish the game strong with a win.  The final score of the game was Oneonta 63 and Cortland 55.  Unfortunately the Mens team went on to lose to Cortland shortly after the womens game.  Overall Oneonta went 1-1 in the Battle of the Red Dragon.

Lyteshia Price rejects a Cortland player in the paint



























No comments:

Post a Comment