Thursday, February 11, 2016

Battle of the Red Dragons

Two Dragons Go In, Only One Comes Out On Top 

By Ryan Thorbjornsen --- Oneonta NY 

Oneonta guard Samantha Lisikatos carrying
the ball.  Ryan Thorbjornsen (c) 2016
 The Oneonta women's basketball team defeated Cortland in the Battle of the Red Dragons on February 9th. It was a tight fought battle but Oneonta held Cortland off with a 63-55 victory. Student athletes, parents, faculty, and many more fans attended the game.

"Well as a student athlete, it's always nice to come support another team doing their thing. I've always been a big basketball fan so obviously I enjoy coming to the games. Hopefully Oneonta can pull through and get this win," Darren Gomez, a Suny Oneonta soccer player, said during the game. 

The fans really got to see good show with Oneonta pulling out the win. Oneonta player, Lyteshia Price led the way with an impressive performance putting up 19 points, 4 blocks, and 3 steals. The game was a nail biter after the 3rd quarter, with Oneonta only leading by 1 point. They then finished with a 22 point 4th quarter and held Cortland to only 15 points. 

 "I just came to support my school. I tend to go to a lot of sporting events here at Oneonta. I get a bunch of my friends together and we just try to have a good time and enjoy the game," Brian, a local fan, stated while observing the battle. 

Fans truly got their moneys worth at this showdown. They got to see some energetic, high pace and hard fought basketball. One fan even got to see her friends compete in the contest. "I don't really like basketball or watch it much on TV but I know a few of the girls on the team so I wanted to come out and support. They're doing a great job and I really hope they end up beating Cortland. We're the real Red Dragons," Jess, an Oneonta student said. 

It turns out she was right, Oneonta won the battle and became the the real Red Dragons. Hopefully they can keep their strong season going and improve on their 15-6 record. 



Cortland player attempting a 3 point shot. Ryan Thorbjornsen (c) 2016


Cortland guard Stephanie Rice taking a 3 pointer. Ryan Thorbjornsen (c) 2016  





No comments:

Post a Comment