Tuesday, February 23, 2016

NYC's Finest 'Bodega': Your Go To Bodega

By Rene Lantigua (WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, NY) --

In New York City, there's a special term of endearment in which we have with our local neighborhood grocery stores. You may know such a location as a mere 'deli', 'convenience store', 'supermarket' or 'mom and pop store'. But in Washington Heights and many other areas in NYC, this location is affectionately known as a "Bodega'.

Below is my trip to the local center of my neighborhood where every kid gets their start.

 

Ever since I could remember the 111 Audubon Food Corp has been on the corner of the Washington Heights block of 171st Street on Audubon Avenue. If you are from New York City in the predominately uptown area of Manhattan called Washington Heights corner stores referred to as “bodegas” is a business you see on every other neighborhood block.

 

For those of you who are wondering what a bodega is, well it is just another name for a convenience store. A name that roots from Latino culture and the Spanish language. When you visit a bodega you may find many products that are shipped in from places around the country and world.

 

Now what is it about the 111 Audubon Food Corp that makes it different from the other bodegas around its neighborhood. This is what one of their frequent customer had to say “This bodega is like a home. I have 30 years coming here. They treat you like their own family. There’s nothing inconvenient here, we take care of them and they take care of us. Everyone feels good. Not only that, we are also from the same country, Dominican Republic.” - Vitalino Jimenez

 

Some would say it is the sense of family and community that makes the bodega stand out from the others. While some say it’s the availability and proximity that makes it a good bodega. “It is a great experience, I’ve been coming here ever since I moved back from Dominican Republic. I get everything I need from the store. I don’t need to go to the store to get anything else, I just come up the block. They have what I need, it is definitely a good experience.” - Jason Lantigua

 

Not only are the customers at the 111 Audubon Food Corp happy but also their employees. This is what George Taveras had to say about his experience working in the bodega. “What I like most about my job is the companionship. They are my bosses yet they treat their employees like brothers. This is obviously a family. All the years I’ve been spent here we have familiarized ourselves with the people in the community. Even you, I’ve known you since you were small.”

 

If you happen to be in the Washington Heights area one day make sure you stop at this bodega. They don’t have the “111” on their title for any reason. This most of been their way of emphasizing that they are number 1, and it seems like they aren’t lying about it either.

 
111 Audubon Food Corp (c) 2016
 photo by Rene Lantigua


Inside of Audubon Food Corp (c) 2016
 photo by Rene Lantigua
 

No comments:

Post a Comment