Thursday, February 18, 2016

Martin Mullen Art Gallery

Independent Spirit at the Martin Mullen Art Gallery

By: Trevor Mitchel


This past Tuesday February 16, I attended the Independent Spirit at the Martin Mullen Art Gallery in the Fine Arts Building at SUNY Oneonta. 


Marcus Villigran's 25th Century 1st Made from stoneware and wood

At this art gallery they had all types of paintings, Drawings, Films, Prints, Sculptures, and Photographs.  There were 24 separate local artists that had different forms of art at this particular gallery.  The arts that stuck out to me the most were the sculptures done by Marcus Villagran. 
When I first walked in I saw many different sculptures that caught my eye.  The first one I saw was a piece by Villagran which was called 25th Century #1 which was made of stoneware and wood.  

Masks by Ian Austin

The other piece of art that stuck out to me were the masks on the wall that were made by Ian Austin. Out of these masks I enjoyed the Komainu No Kumo mask as it was the biggest and caught my eye compared to the rest of them.  The last piece of art that caught my eye was the painting done by Christine Alexander which was called Mother Cat in the Garden.  The reason that this peaked my interest was because of all the different colors used by the artist.  

Watercolor painting called Mother Cat in the Garden by Christine Alexander

All of the pieces of art in the gallery were spectacular.  I highly suggest that everyone goes to this great art gallery before it closes on March 18th



         


No comments:

Post a Comment