Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Challenges of Being an RA, Told by Tyler Gray By: Alex Kaufman (Oneonta, NY)


Tyler Gray is a 21 year old Junior at SUNY Oneonta from Troy, NY.  He majors in Human Biology with a focus in Physician Studies. This is his first year being a Residential Advisor at Golding Hall.  Tyler certainly loves doing his job and assisting the freshmen: "It's a great experience (other than the compensation).  Being in a freshmen building, I get to mold the college experience into them and steer them into the right direction academically and socially."






Obtaining the job of an RA certainly comes with obstacles in which one must perfect multitasking.  Tyler discusses how working as a team can make the job easier and more enjoyable.  "Sometimes weekends can get out of hand.  There are night hosts and backup RAS who assist me in keeping things under control."  RA Gray has the capabilities and motivation to do the best job he can and to fulfill all of his responsibilities.  It seems as if this occupation has improved his time management skills, social skills, and the job looks great on a resume.  Some of Tyler's duties include: "Every month we have to make door tags, put events up on bulletin boards, and make sure the cage is organized.  When I am on duty, I am on call all hours of the night.  I am also the Night Host Coordinator, in which I hire night hosts and supervise them."





Being a first year RA, Gray has discovered methods on how to excel in time management.  "Since I am a second semester junior, I have a full course load.  The key is to establish time maintenance and to allocate specific duties.  I usually do work when I am at the cage; once you get the right balance, it fits in your life quite well."  He is eager to maintain his position for another year: "I actually do plan on being an RA next year.  I am going to stay in Golding; I like the relationship and impact I have on freshmen.  I want to continue what I'm doing."




No comments:

Post a Comment