Thursday, April 14, 2016

Stephen Rice: A Legend in His Own Write

 By: Alex Kaufman (Oneonta, NY)
   

"Originally I wanted to be a veterinarian, but I couldn't even pass Chemistry 101.  English was my second choice and I majored in it at Hartwick College.  I lucked out with brilliant, fascinating, and intriguing professors."-Professor Rice

Professor Rice has been teaching for thirty years.  His unique charisma allows for an enjoyable class experience.  Advanced Composition 200 is a course that helps students examine themselves to a whole other level.  Rice assigns students to constantly write journal entries and he believes this is an effective method to evaluate meta-cognition and self-fulfilling prophecy.  


"The biggest challenge I face is teaching to a generation where people are addicted to their smart phones.  I knew that the brains of students were changing and that made me take my job very seriously."-Professor Rice

Stephen Rice is a brilliant man who is certainly in the right profession.  His alternative teaching methods allow students to open their minds to the more important aspects of life: the difference between expectations and reality, a greater appreciation for music and the arts, how to perfect time management, and an overall way of perfecting oneself.


"I do not plan on retiring any time soon.  I am determined to keep working until I get dementia or some other crazy disease."-Professor Rice

     A marvelous and never-ending sense of humor is what keeps students encouraged to attend class and to frequently participate.  Stephen wants to help students whenever they need it and he is a fantastic storyteller.  The experiences he shares with students creates a strong bond and the class becomes a family.  Most people are intimidated when it comes to reading/analyzing numerous pages and writing countless essays; however, the topics that Rice assigns are relevant to today's society and the work is enjoyable and manageable.


"Before this class I did not really like writing too much.  Professor Rice has perfected my grammar, composition, and overall essay formatting." Tim Liguori (Student)

Mr. Rice is admired and respected by all of his students.  He motivates students to aim higher and to reach their full potential.  If you are looking to encounter the most interesting and entertaining professor on campus, do not hesitate to take a class with Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment