Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Mike Cruz from player to coach.



John Karaz Photography 2015 (c)

By Billy Riedel (Oneonta, NY)-- Mike Cruz transferred from Nassau Community College to SUNY Oneonta in the fall of 2014, as a well known baseball player from Levitown, NY. Cruz was excited to embark on his journey as a student-athlete but had no idea he would end up coaching here after his playing career came to a close.

“Baseball has always been my passion, I always wanted to continue to keep the game in my life after I was finished playing.”

“Oneonta has given me so many opportunities, from becoming a better educated student, being able to continue my collegiate athletic career, and to now become a coach, I am extremely grateful for this  place.”

Mike Delio Images 2016 (c)
Coach Mike Cruz is now in his second year as the hitting coach at Oneonta. In his first year he raised the team batting average by eighty seven points and looks to raise that number even more this year. When asking players on the team what their thoughts on Cruz were, Senior, Casy Kies 21 Vestal, NY, “Coach Cruz brings a lot to the table. I listen to him because I saw his success and his passion for the game. It is not often you get to be coached by one of your players, especially one that played next to you in the outfield for two years.” Cruz truly has done it all here at Suny Oneonta except win a SUNYAC title. That is his mission this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment