Thursday, October 20, 2016

Marc Taranto: Javelin Thrower

By Christina Trupia (ONEONTA, NY) – Throwing the javelin was not originally a part of his plan, but what was a chance encounter with the sport quickly turned into a passion for this SUNY Oneonta athlete. 
Marc Taranto of the SUNY Oneonta track and field team. Christina Trupia (c) 2016
Marc Taranto of the SUNY Oneonta track and field team has been throwing the javelin for most of his career.  However, he did not get his start in throwing immediately, as he began as a runner on his high school track team.
 Taranto demonstrating the proper javelin technique. Christina Trupia (c) 2016
“I originally started doing distance… and on the way back from one of the runs I passed the javelin throwers, saw them throwing, I talked to the coach, and he let me try throwing it… and so I stayed there,” said Taranto. 
From that point on Taranto has been throwing ever since.  Taranto started off as a thrower for the Arlington Admiral’s, his high school team, where he came in second and third place at small dual meets.  After high school, however, Taranto took a break from competing as he started college at SUNY Oneonta.  Not long after though he got right back into the skilled sport.
Taranto teaching a friend how to properly handle the javelin. Christina Trupia (c) 2016

“I didn’t throw freshman year because I assumed I wasn’t good enough,” said Taranto. “Then in the middle of sophomore year I sent the head coach an e-mail and he said to come to practice… and now I’m an official javelin thrower here.”
Since his joining of the team, Taranto has come in eighth at SUNYAC, a conference meet between all D3 SUNY schools in the area, his biggest achievement as a Red Dragon athlete. You can catch Marc Taranto throwing this upcoming spring season for the SUNY Oneonta track and field team. 

Link to my video

No comments:

Post a Comment